Fourfold swirl. The knob is mounted on a base with a plaque that states "Original White House Material. Removed in 1950". When the White House was gutted to the original walls and rebuilt during the Truman administration, part of the renovation costs were paid by selling artifacts from the building to the American public which were not going to be reused. The plaque shown is commonly on these artifacts.